top posting, HTML posting and "the closer"

kevin.kempter at dataintellect.com kevin.kempter at dataintellect.com
Wed Mar 30 18:21:08 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 30 March 2005 10:57, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Mar 2005, Thomas Cameron wrote:
> > RDay -
>
> yes?

> > I have never had a problem reading top posted messages, HTML
> > formatted messages, or messages with silly disclaimers.  I know I'm
> > not the sharpest tool in this particular shed.  It surprises me that
> > some people on this list who are obviously as or more intelligent
> > than I am get so stirred up about it. And it saddens me when people
> > on this list whom I respect on a technical level make rude comments
> > and call names.
> >
> > I completely support gentle reminders when someone who is new to the list
> > makes a mistake.
> >
> > But the hostility and rudeness just hurts the community.
>
> you're missing the point, and i've posted on this previously.  on the
> one hand, you have newcomers who, being newcomers, might post in HTML,
> or top post, or something like that, and someone else will suggest
> politely they not do that, and they say, "oh, sorry, i didn't know, i
> won't do it again", and they stop doing it, and everyone's happy, and
> we all get back to work.
>
> on the other hand, you have newcomers who, being newcomers, might post
> in HTML, or top post, or something like that, and someone else will
> suggest politely they not do that, and they say, "well, *that's* how
> we do it where *i* come from!  and i *like* doing it that way!  and i
> don't see why *i* have to change!  and you should all get used to it
> cuz *i'm* going to keep doing it!"
>
> and *those* people are assholes.  and they're the ones who cause these
> threads to go on and on and on ...
>
> if you bother to go back thru these threads, people are rarely
> insulted for being newcomers.  they're insulted for being dickheads.
>
> there's a difference.
>
> rday

I have to say, you make a good point. I think that I've been able to progress
my Linux skills over the past several years with much help from the community
and I am grateful. However I think that if I had gone about my learning with
an attitude as presented above I would not get very far.

The benifits and courtesies of an open source community have to work in both
directions.