top posting, HTML posting and "the closer"

Thomas Cameron thomas.cameron at camerontech.com
Wed Mar 30 18:29:25 UTC 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday at mindspring.com>
To: "For users of Fedora Core releases" <fedora-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Wednesday, March 30, 2005 12:23 PM
Subject: Re: top posting, HTML posting and "the closer"

> On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 kevin.kempter at dataintellect.com wrote:
>
>> The benifits and courtesies of an open source community have to work
>> in both directions.
>
> and that's *exactly* what's happening here.  if you show up, take the
> time to learn the protocols and follow the lead of others who've been
> here a while, the regular denizens of this list will bend over
> backwards to help you out.  (i mean, geez, alexander dalloz *alone*
> could be a major corporation's entire help desk department.)
>
> on the other hand, if you show up with an attitude, the regulars will
> rip you a new orifice.
>
> i think that pretty much describes your "both directions" thingie, no?
> :-)
>
> rday

So I guess there's no room for tolerance of other people's preferences?  I
mean, really - is it *that* hard to follow a thread that is top-posted?  Is
it *really* worth getting so worked up over?  I don't have any problems
following threads like that, and it doesn't get me all stirred up.  I am
curious as to why this is really such a big deal.

Thomas