top posting, HTML posting and "the closer"

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 22:10:28 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-03-30 at 13:24, Thomas Cameron wrote:

> You haven't answered my question...  Why is this such a big deal?
> Seriously?  I'm not trying to troll or flame-bait.  I genuinely don't
> understand why it is such a big deal.

The one thing other than personal preference to consider is that these
messages may live forever but the neatly threaded mailbox archives may
not. Sometime in the future, a search engine may retrieve an individual
message as a response to some query.  It is very useful in that
circumstance when the message is self-contained and shows both
the question(s) and answer(s) in a logical layout.  It is especially
helpful when the original poster follows up, including the correct
answer in context along with the confirmation that in fact this
answer did solve the problem.

Obviously, nobody is going to read through all of this cruft to find
anything...

--
  Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com