Setting up a FC3 gateway

Thiago Guzella thiago.guzella at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 23:19:09 UTC 2005

Greetings,

I am running FC3 x86_64 on a DSL-connected pc, which works great by
itself; I have another machine running windoze XP, and would like to
use the first pc as a gateway, so that windoze can have access to the
network.

In the linux machine, with 2 ethernet devices, eth0-> connected to
windoze, eth1-> connected to the ADSL modem (under ppp0), eth0 is set
with ip address 192.168.1.1, netmask 255.255.255.0, and eth1 is set by
adsl-setup... The windoze pc has an ip address 192.168.1.2, netmask
255.255.255.0, gateway 192.168.1.1 ( = the FC3 ip address).

Using this setup, windoze can ping linux, but linux can't ping windoze
(no response). I even tried running ping with -I eth0 with no luck :(

Well, i started doing the usual stuff in order to set the gateway under fedora:
1) enabling ip_forwarding on /etc/sysctl.conf
2) modprobing iptables_nat
3) adding iptables masquerading rules to table nat (iptables -t nat -A
POSTROUTING -o ppp0 -j MASQUERADE)

needless to say that windoze remains unconnected... what am I missing????
Thanks in advance

--
Thiago dos Santos Guzella
Electrical Enginnering Student - UFMG (www.ufmg.br), Brazil

"Faith: not wanting to know what is true."
Friedrich Nietzsche