Wireless connectivity - was resolved, then unresolved, now RESOLVED!!!

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Thu Mar 31 01:08:33 UTC 2005

Dave Gavin wrote:

> -rw-r--r--  3 root root 195 Feb 13 21:03
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
> -rw-r--r--  3 root root 195 Feb 13 21:03
> /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth0
> -rw-r--r--  3 root root 195 Feb 13 21:03
> /etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/ifcfg-eth0
>
>  (my mailer will have broken the output lines, sorry)
>
>  The "3" in the second column is the count of links to the data - the
>  different
> files are hard links to the same data. Edit one and you edit them all...
> Your comment about this being a bit of a mess is right on target... I
> think that it's the result of different tools looking in different places
> or the design of the profile mechanism (which is also a mess and seems
> only partially implemented).

In my case the relevant files are not the same

[tim at martha ~]$ ls -ls /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
4 -rw-r--r--  1 root root 211 Mar 30
19:24 /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
[tim at martha ~]$ ls -ls /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth0
4 -rw-r--r--  4 root root 115 Mar 30
16:44 /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth0

Admittedly that may be my fault, or rather the fault
of an ancient version of NetworkManager.
However, my point was that the file actually looked at is (I believe)
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 .
I'm not really clear why there should be 3 or 4 linked files.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366