hardware question: Intel entry server board SE7221BK1 & Fedora Core 3

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Thu Mar 31 00:19:53 UTC 2005

Am Di, den 15.03.2005 schrieb Alexander Dalloz um 3:00:

> The advantage of such a nice community base is, that we can share
> hardware experiences - I still have in mind a community feeded database
> of compatible and non-compatible hardware for Fedora .
> I am now in the situation to build and setup a new server system for a
> client very urgently as the old server hardware seems to die. So I would
> like to hear that the Intel entry server board I now had a close look at
> is no problem for the current Linux kernel and Fedora in specific:
>
> http://www.intel.com/design/servers/boards/SE7221BK1-E/index.htm
>
> Does anybody of you run this board with Fedora Core 3? Any feedback is
> welcomed. So especially is SATA problem free with the chipset - the RAID

Next add: to make a long story short - the new, exchanged board with new
hardware revision is completely dead now. It silently died after 5 hours
while running Windows® 2003 server 64bit evaluation version on it with a
bit moderate stress testing. The system suddenly stopped with black
screen and it wasn't possible to start the computer again at all. I did
run Windows® on it to see whether the other problems with sudden freezes
were Linux related.
Well, now I have bought an ASUS desktop board with Nforce4 chipset I am
happily running an AMD64 3500+ instead of the former Pentium IV 630 (3,2
GHz with EM64T) - and the system seems to be absolutely stable. The ITE
super I/O chip is properly recognised by lm_sensors while with the Intel
Entry Server Board I would have had to implement OpenIPMI - with open
end. Would have been interesting to see how that goes, but the board is
now going home to Intel by my local vendor.

Alexander

Fedora Core 2 GNU/Linux on Athlon with kernel 2.6.10-1.771_FC2smp
Serendipity 02:06:36 up 23:33, 18 users, 0.41, 0.43, 0.52