modem keeps disappearing

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Thu Mar 31 00:30:41 UTC 2005

I'm having a disappearing modem problem. I put in the computer, it gets
recognized by kudzu, and it comes up working. I use it to dial in to an
old mainframe. Kermit sees it, and I have ProComm for DOS running under
dosemu. All seems well. I shut down the computer, and when it comes back
up, it has disappeared. So far, I've only been able to recover it by
removing it and rebooting, and then reinstalling it and rebooting. It
seemed to be a problem with a lockfile earlier on, but, that's no longer
the case. Can anyone offer an idea? I've searched the list and read the
configuration manuals from Redhat, but there is precious little said
about modems for old-style dialup.
--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA