modem keeps disappearing

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Thu Mar 31 04:56:09 UTC 2005

David Curry wrote:

> Claude Jones wrote:

>>> I'm having a disappearing modem problem. I put in the computer, it
>>> gets recognized by kudzu, and it comes up working. I use it to dial
>>> in to an old mainframe. Kermit sees it, and I have ProComm for DOS
>>> running under dosemu. All seems well. I shut down the computer, and
>>> when it comes back up, it has disappeared. So far, I've only been
>>> able to recover it by removing it and rebooting, and then
>>> reinstalling it and rebooting. It seemed to be a problem with a
>>> lockfile earlier on, but, that's no longer the case. Can anyone
>>> offer an idea? I've searched the list and read the configuration
>>> manuals from Redhat, but there is precious little said about modems
>>> for old-style dialup.
>>

>> I reply to myself - the modem is not disappearing. By doing a kudzu
>> -p I was able to determine that the modem is still configured and is
>> set to ttyS14 - when I used that to connect via Kermit and ProComm
>> just now, I got in. So, does anyone know why, is it called the
>> 'symbolic link' /dev/modem?, keeps disappearing?
>>
> Claude, I do not recall seeing your issue raised on the list before.
> It may have been and I just did not see the thread or do not remember it.
>
> The absence of any respoonses to your query, though, suggests that
> readers of the messagee have not come up with any answers to your
> question(s).  Have you considered filing a bugzilla report on the issue?

David: I am very new to Linux, and have never filed a bugzilla report.
It hadn't occurred to me. I'm not sure I have enough confidence to know
I'm doing everything correctly, and that there isn't something I've done
that's causing the problem. You're right, though - no one else seems to
be having this specific problem. Just to put a few more details on the
subject - the modem is a USR 5610 and was recommended on some Linux site
I visited. It is a real modem, not a winmodem. It works just fine except
for this disappearing problem with the link - I'm reading through the
UDEV pages suggested by someone else earlier today to deal with a
dev/ttyS0 permission denied problem. There's some promise, there. I'll
keep bugzilla in mind.

--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA