modem keeps disappearing

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Thu Mar 31 05:59:29 UTC 2005

On 03/30/2005 08:56:09 PM, Claude Jones wrote:

> David: I am very new to Linux, and have never filed a bugzilla
> report. It hadn't occurred to me. I'm not sure I have enough
> confidence to know I'm doing everything correctly, and that there
> isn't something I've done that's causing the problem. You're right,
> though - no one else seems to be having this specific problem. Just
> to put a few more details on the subject - the modem is a USR 5610
> and was recommended on some Linux site I visited. It is a real modem,
> not a winmodem. It works just fine except for this disappearing
> problem with the link - I'm reading through the UDEV pages suggested
> by someone else earlier today to deal with a dev/ttyS0 permission
> denied problem. There's some promise, there. I'll keep bugzilla in
> mind.

It definitely sounds like udev is not keeping track of the symlink.
Unfortunately I do not use a dialup modem anymore, when I still had it
installed - FC3 did keep track of the symlink properly. It was a US
Robotics hardware modem on a PCI card.

Is your udev up to current patch level? That's always the first thing
before filing a bug report - make sure your system is up to date -
there have been a lot of patches, and some to fix udev issues.

If the size of the update download is an issue with your dialup
connection, and if you have a DVD drive, I can mail you the updates on
DVD - maybe it will resolve your issue.

If your system isn't updated, you can try (from CLI as r00t)

yum update udev hal

That will just pull in udev and hal updates and their dependencies and
may be all that you need to resolve this issue.

--
Michael A. Peters
http://mpeters.us/