updates & time

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Thu Mar 31 09:27:53 UTC 2005

Raghavendra Moktali wrote:
> hello,
>
> i have just installed fc3 on an thinkpad r51 and a desktop machine.
> the version is 2.6.9-1.667, from dvd
> During the installations, i have selected everything to be installed.
>
> Please let me your experience of the following. this is my first install
>  and upgrade.
>
> a. how long this might take on the thinkpad with the folloing spec.
> centrino 1.5Ghz,768mb pc2700 ram, via a network with download speed
>       of about 45kbps using up2date or yum. i have to plan for the
> required time at a cafe or some other place as i am on dialup.

The current size of the i386 updates directory for FC3 is around 1.7GB,
though that includes multiple versions of some packages, so you wouldn't
need the older updates. Let's say it comes to around 1GB after removing
duplicates. That would take nearly 50 hours to download at 45kbps.

> b. is it possible to just download the updates to a folder and use them
> to update all machines and if so how? this would make more sense in case
> of multiple machines.

Move the kernel updates into a separate folder. In the folder with the
other updates, do:
# rpm -Fvh *.rpm

In the folder containing the kernel updates, install the latest kernel
package:
# rpm -ivh kernel...whatever...rpm

Paul.