Boot hangs after snort initialization

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Thu Mar 31 09:36:08 UTC 2005

Mark Sargent wrote:
> my boot hangs after snort is initialized. The last line shown after the snort
> initialization message is Enabling swap space  OK and then a continually
> blinking cursor below it. Nothing is reported in either /var/log/boot.log
> or /var/log/messages. Cheers.

The boot will be hanging because you're not running snort in daemon
mode. Though I'm surprised the "hang" is so early in the boot process,
given that you're running snort from rc.local, which is right at the end
of the boot process. Are you booting with "rhgb quiet" as boot
parameters in grub.conf?

Paul.