Problem with NFS after updating util-linux

Karl Bellve Karl.Bellve at umassmed.edu
Thu Mar 31 14:17:47 UTC 2005

Paul Howarth wrote:

> Espen Stefansen wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> At my company, we have a redhat 9 server which is a nfs and nis
>> server. It handles our logins and home-dirs. After updating my Fedora
>> 3 machine with util-linux, i cannot log on anymore. In my log it says:
>>
>> Mar 31 13:58:54 localhost automount[5900]: >> mount to NFS server
>> 'artemis' failed: server is down.
>> Mar 31 13:58:54 localhost automount[5900]: >> mount: backgrounding
>> "artemis:/export/home/espens"

This happened on a Fedora 4 machine that we just set up.

Put UDP in your fstab mounting options. I believe the latest NFS is
trying to use TCP instead of UDP. The older Linux NFS servers don't
support TCP.

For example:
computer:/raid             /storage/           nfs     udp,defaults 0 0

--
Cheers,

Karl Bellve