DNS - subdomain delegate

Aleksandar Milivojevic amilivojevic at pbl.ca
Thu Mar 31 14:46:41 UTC 2005

Hugo Rebello wrote:
> Guys,
>
> I am using DNS server in Fedora Core 3, and I have just one internal
> domain (i.e. test.com.br).
> I need to create a sub-domain, however in other site and other server
> will control this sub-domain.
> My question is. How can I delegate dns sub-domain ?

Simple.  Create NS record for subdomain.  For example, if your domain is
bar.com, and you want to delegate foo.bar.com:

foo               IN NS dns1.foo.bar.com.
                   IN NS dns2.foo.bar.com.
dns1.foo.bar.com. IN A  1.2.3.4
dns2.foo.bar.com. IN A  1.2.3.5

Make sure you don't ommit any of those dots ;-)

Basically, this tells your local BIND that dns1.foo.bar.com and
dns2.foo.bar.com are name servers for foo.bar.com domain.  You must
include A records for those two servers on parent server (as shown
above) so that resolvers have enough information to contact them.  The
above example is if you want to have two servers for foo.bar.com.  You
can have only one if you want.  Or three.  Or any number of them.  Make
sure you list all of them on parent server (no much point in having
multiple servers if nobody outside domain knows about them).

There are many online resources describing this.  You might also
consider getting copy of "DNS and BIND" (4th edition also covers BIND 9,
so you probably want to make sure you get that one, not the older
editions) written by Paul Albitz & Cricket Liu, publisher is O'Reilly.