Help need for fc3 installing on IBM Xseries 360

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Thu Mar 31 16:31:27 UTC 2005

Jin Baiqi wrote:
> Hello, I installed fc3 on this 4-cpus machine and
> found that it can boot with linux kernel with only one
> cpu supported.
> However, when I try to boot with SMP kernel, it keeps
> rebooting. This machine has 4 cpus and 2 scsi hard
> disks. This machine is supposed to support redhat
> enterprise 7.2.

I've taken a quick look through IBM's website (not the easiest thing in
the world to do) and discovered that this server uses a fairly unusual
chipset, the IBM XA-32:
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-58460

All the supported Linux distributions (as far as I can tell) use kernel
2.4.

I can't see anything about this in Bugzilla. Update the machine to the
latest kernels, and check that you still get the problem. If you do, put
it in bugzilla.redhat.com under the kernel.

I should imagine that Red Hat would be very interested in getting this
working for the RHEL market.

Thanks in advance for helping to improve Linux!

James.

--
E-mail address: james | The camel has a single hump;
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | The dromedary two;