rp-pppoe with usb modem

William John Murray w.murray at rl.ac.uk
Thu Mar 31 16:41:37 UTC 2005

> On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 10:23:54 +0200, William John Murray
> <w.murray at rl.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> [snip]
> >>
> >   Hi Shelagh,
> >     I found your conversation with FlashTux via google. Looks a lot like
> > mine.
> >        I think you got to 'timed-out connection' in the adsl-start
> > script.  I had this too. But /var/log/messages had lines like:
> >   Timeout waiting for PADO packets
> > Do you have anything there?
> >     Bill
> >
> Yes indeed!
>
> Where do I go from here?
>
> Shelagh

   Well, thats odd. In my case it was because AOL were providing a very
limited environment; just enough to allow their private tunnel to get
started.
  I solved this by running ethereal under XP and then under Linux,
comparing the opening of the connection. It turned out that from the IP
provided by the ADSL connect (WW.XX.YY.ZZ) a UDP echange with WW.XX.YY.1
port 7427 took place. This was a 1 packet submission followed by a 1
packet return - the address of a different machine. Then a tunnel was
opened to the new machine with some complex handshaking, but this was
already included in the 'penggy' package.
   So I have made a private version of penggy which does the UDP lookup
and then opens the tunnel.

   Anyway, the point is most users seem not to need all this. Not sure
why. So I guess the problem in your case will be different, (not AOL)
but maybe you need to establish some sort of extra tunnel too?

   How did you know which ppp mode to use?

         Bill