updates & time

Raghavendra Moktali rmoktali at vsnl.net
Thu Mar 31 20:03:54 UTC 2005

Paul Howarth wrote:
> Raghavendra Moktali wrote:

> The current size of the i386 updates directory for FC3 is around 1.7GB,
> though that includes multiple versions of some packages, so you wouldn't
> need the older updates. Let's say it comes to around 1GB after removing
> duplicates. That would take nearly 50 hours to download at 45kbps.

how does a user on dial up manage this? looks line this thing is forcing
me to get a dsl connection

just upgraded only the kernel to 2.6.10 xxxx via dsl nerwork @ abt
50Kbps. took abt 1 hr including the initial setup at a friends place.

it also broke my fragile 14.4 modem connection at home :( using
linmodem's trial hsf rpm. now my modem is not found. have to look into it.

>> b. is it possible to just download the updates to a folder and use
>> them to update all machines and if so how? this would make more sense
>> in case of multiple machines.

> Move the kernel updates into a separate folder. In the folder with the
> other updates, do:
> # rpm -Fvh *.rpm

up2date applied them after the download finished.

--
rm