synaptics / alps touchpad

Jonathan Berry berryja at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 20:15:22 UTC 2005

Hi all,

Does the latest FC3 kernel (770_FC3) have the necessary patches to
work with a synaptics touchpad?  That is, does anyone have synaptics
working with the stock FC3 kernel (without re-compiling or anything
like that)?
A seperate question, does anyone know when the 2.6.11 kernel in
testing will be released?  I've heard reports that at least vanilla
2.6.11 kernels have the necessary patches to get synaptics working.
My laptop (Compaq R3000Z) has a synaptics touchpad, but a bug in the
BIOS prevents it from being properly recognized.  If psmouse is built
as a module (and not built in as in the default config) I can get it
working with "rmmod psmouse && modprobe psmouse" but it only works as
a normal mouse (no special synaptics functions).  With a default
kernel, I can also get it to work by rubbing the touchpad enough :).
Both operations seem to reset something in the touchpad that then
allow it to be recognized.  There is a BIOS upgrade available which
fixes this, but I am reluctant to apply it since almost everything
works.  I have been trying to see if I could get it to work as a
synaptics touchpad without the BIOS upgrade (it's a long shot, but
worth a try), so I'm trying to figure out what all I need to do to get
it working.
One last question.  Does anyone know if there is a way to get FC3 to
try to redect the mouse?  Such a command would be much more
convienient than rubbing the pad until it works :).

Thanks,
Jonathan