modem keeps disappearing

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Thu Mar 31 21:23:42 UTC 2005

akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:
| Claude Jones wrote:
|| I reply to myself - the modem is not disappearing. By doing a
|| kudzu -p I was able to determine that the modem is still
|| configured and is set to ttyS14 - when I used that to connect
|| via Kermit and ProComm just now, I got in. So, does anyone
|| know why, is it called the 'symbolic link' /dev/modem?, keeps
|| disappearing?
| You don't say, but is your modem external? Fedora has a poor
| record in recognizing external modems. Modems are removed in my
| experience at random, it seems, for no reason whatsoever. If
| kudzu thinks the modem has disappeared then I ma nor surprised
| the /dev/modem disappears. Using the /dev/ttySx has always
| worked better for me. --

It's an internal PCI recommended for Linux. Someone suggested a
driver had been made available by USR and I installed it - that
'may' have fixed the problem. I'm doing so many things today to
this box that I'm having a hard time keeping track of them all.

Claude Jones
Levit & James, Inc./WTVS
Leesburg, VA, USA