fstab vfat boot hang

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Thu Mar 31 21:55:33 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-03-31 at 22:19 +0100, Gary Stainburn wrote:
> Hi folks.
>
> If I have the following line (below, line-wrapped single line) in my
> /etc/fstab my machine hangs during bootup at the fsck stage complaining
> that VFAT checking is still ALPHA.  There is no HDD activity.
>
> If I boot in rescue mode and remove the line the box boots fine.
>
> What do I need to do to the line so I can leave it it and still have the
> machine boot.  I've tried 'nocheck' and 'check=no' as possible options.
>
> Gary
>
> /dev/hda1               /mnt/dos                vfat
> umask=0222,uid=500,gid=500      1       1

Change the end of the line from 1 1 to 0 0
That will turn off the fsck during boot.
Man fstab tells me that the 6th field controls the fsck during boot, and
the 5th field controls the dump sequence.  it also says

"If the sixth field is not present or zero, a value of zero is returned
and fsck will  assume  that  the  filesystem does not need to be
checked."