dumb terminals and Red Hat Fedora Linux 2

Jeff Kinz jkinz at kinz.org
Thu Mar 31 21:59:48 UTC 2005

On Thu, Mar 31, 2005 at 04:01:29PM -0600, Jack Taffar wrote:
> Hi All
> 	My goal is to test a dumb terminal connecting to my redhat server and
> run X desktop.  I am a greenhorn with redhat.  The terminal is a Wyse
> Winterm.  For now I am not using DHCP.  I will drop an IP address in the
> terminal.  The server and the terminal will be on the same network.

Hi Jack.

I have to assume you  aren't really talking about a "dumb terminal".
Typically a dumb terminal is connected to the computer by a serial line
and is only cable of displaying alpha-characters (of some character set)
and some simple line graphics.

In order to do what you want, your Wyse device must be an "X-terminal"
which is a display device with an X-server built into it, typically in
ROM. usually these are connected to a LAN or other high-speed medium to
communicate to the application server (or "X client device").

Does your Wyse Winterm has an Xserver capability?  (In the early days of
X-Terminals some of these devices were just IBM PC's with special
software to make them act as an X-device, a perfectly reasonable
solution)

Now then, what is your question?  Do you need to figure out what IP
address to assign to your X-terminal?

> output from uname -a:
> Linux Hydrogen 2.6.5-1.358 #1 Sat May 8 09:04:50 EDT 2004 i686 athlon
> i386 GNU/Linux
>
> ANY HELP will be greatly appreciated !
>

> Jack Taffar
> Information Systems
> Comperio
> (Latin)  to find out , discover, gain certain information of.
>
> --

"The only system which is truly secure, is one which is switched off
and unplugged, locked in a titanium lined safe, buried in a concrete
bunker, surrounded by nerve gas and very highly paid armed guards. Even
then, I wouldn't stake my life on it" - Gene Spafford
(Good thing. the law of unintended consequences: A laptop, w/wireless
NIC and wake on "date" set in the BIOS)

Jargon file, abrgd.: The September that never ended. On the Internet,
every September's freshmen influx got their first accounts and, not
knowing how to post/email, always made a nuisance of themselves. Usually
they were trained in a few months. But in September 1993, AOL users
became able to post, overwhelming the capacity to acculturate them; to
those who recall the period before, this triggered a decline in the
quality of online communications. Syn. eternal September.

http://kinz.org
http://www.fedoranews.org