Strange name resolution

Patrick Nelson pnelson at neatech.com
Sun May 1 23:57:30 UTC 2005

FC2 Up to date.

I run a master and slave DNS service for an intranet (.mynet) and 8 FQDN
internet.  I can not seem to figure out what is happening a thought I
would throw it to our list.  Here are the facts:  On my intranet domain
I have systems named as cities like newyork.mynet.  My DNS resolves
these fine.  I also have CNAMEs like svn.mynet in my say newyork.mynet A
set.  When ever I move one of my CNAMEs in my primary intranet zone.
Say svn.mynet now points to windycity.mynet.  I basically do a rndc
flush & reload on the master and a rndc flush, reload, and refresh mynet
on the slave.  If I check it with dig svn.mynet @dns1.mynet and dig
svn.mynet @dns2.mynet the resolution is as I would expect: pointing to
windycity.mynet.  However, if I do a ping from all my systems every
system pings windycity.mynet except dns1.mynet (the master DNS).

Here is what I have tried:  I have checked the hosts file and I'm not
running any other name resolution.  I have stopped and started both
master and slave DNSs.  And I've ever rebooted these systems.  No matter
what I do it keeps point the svn.mynet to newyork.mynet on dns1.mynet
and this is driving me crazy.  So I must not fully understand something.

I had given up on it and inserted a svn1.mynet SVNROOT variable in all
systems .bash.profile and added it as a CNAME of windycity.mynet in my
DNS zone.  Everything works now except...

I pinged the svn.mynet on dns1.mynet and now the darn thing has resolved
to windycity.mynet.  Argggg!  This is exactly one week after I made the
change.

Anyone have any idea what is happening?  It sure appears to be a cache
issue but I'm not sure what are how to clear it.  Note also this has
happened before so it is not isolated.  TIA