Yum Extender

Temlakos temlakos at gmail.com
Mon May 2 14:12:57 UTC 2005

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Temlakos wrote:
>

>>Nevertheless, I heartily recommend yumex, for a whole host of reasons.
>>It gives me everything I wanted in a GUI front-end, while allowing me to
>>see what it's doing (through its Output window), just as I can see right
>>now on the command line.
>>
>>A very valuable customization and administration tool--and one I would
>>like to see made part of Fedora Core, or Fedora Extras at least.
>

> Sorry to be negative, but I installed and tried yumex,
> and found it more or less useless.
> Or maybe I lack the necessary intelligence to use it.
>
> When I click on Update I'm prompted to fill in something for "Filter",
> whatever that means.
> When I click "Select all" at the bottom of the page
> and then click the second "Update" item (why two?)
> I'm told "No packages selected".
>
> I think that quite a lot of work needs to be done on this
> before it is accepted as a standard part of Fedora.

Are you sure, when you visit the Update screen, that you even /have/
anything to update? I notice that when my RHN icon shows a blue
checkmark, yumex's Update screen shows no package names, because no
updates are available. But when I see the red screamer, and all the
mirrors have the updates, /now/ the Update screen shows those packages
for which updates are now available.

The filter allows you to select only those packages beginning with a
certain name, or having certain character strings in their names.

I'll grant you that Synaptic (when the package isn't broken, as it is
now until Axel promulgates a key component to the at-stable branch of
his repository) allows you to search packages by type, which yumex does
not--yet. But as long as Fedora is going to include yum as a package
manager, and if you /want/ a GUI, then yumex is the best I've found so far.

Temlakos