Fonts under Java in FC3

Anand Buddhdev arb at anand.org
Wed May 4 10:07:42 UTC 2005

Hi people,

I've installed the Sun jre 1.5.0_03. I'm now trying to run one
application under this jre. Some of the fonts in this application are
very bad, even though I have high quality Microsoft fonts installed. My
fonts are installed properly, because my Gnome desktop can see and use
them, and they are also visible if I run "xlsfonts". I used Google and
discovered that this is a common problem with Sun's java on linux. One
recommendation is to create a file called
/usr/java/jre1.5.0_03/lib/fontconfig.RedHat.3.properties, and define
one's preferred fonts in there. I've attached a copy of my file to this
message for reference. I've strace'd the application, and I do see that
this file is being opened and read, so I know it's being picked up the
jre. However, it has made no difference to the fonts. They're as ugly as
ever (chunky, with pixels sticking out everywhere).

Does anyone have any other recommendations? Is there any other way to
force a java application to use fonts of one's own choice? I don't have
the source code of this java application. It's distributed as a .jar file.