Fedora Core brevity vs server upgrades

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Wed May 4 12:05:16 UTC 2005

Pedro Fernandes Macedo wrote:

>> I'm not a fan on Yum.
>>
> It's not a yum related problem. If the server is incomplete , it means
> that apt , yum and any other other app that does something like yum/apt
> do , they'll have issues with broken mirrors.
> There's no easy way to fix this. If you find one , please post it ,

Drop unreliable mirrors. It happens often enough that they should be
identifiable.

Update lists mirrors; it seems that Yum downloads a fresh list each time
(yuck, I'd rather see the list in an rpm that's updated as needed), so
that should be a quick fix. Once a mirror fixes its problems, relist it.

> since keeping several mirrors in synch is certainly something very
> difficult, specially when you dont have control over them.
>
>>> I think most are usability improvements for the desktop, and probably
>>> not really needed on servers.
>>

>> I note that there have been several kernel updates, and that he latest
>> is broken (on my laptop it doesn't shut down, gets an oops instead).
>> Not good for transporting.
>>
> For a good description of the updates , subscribe to
> fedora-announce-list. Usually the security updates are listed with the
> [SECURITY] tag in the subject , but sometimes a security update goes by
> without any special mention besides the entry in the changelog saying
> something like "Fixed CAN #.... ".

I'm on the list, what am I supposed to see? I didn't ask _why_ there
have been several kernel updates, I merely observed there have been several.

>>> Yes, for example there was a recent util-linux update that
>>> "broke" (though there was a workaround that could be used) client-side
>>> NFS mounts to older servers, though an updated update was released the
>>> day after.
>>

>> This justifies my hands-on update policy.
>>
>> The option to log software updates would be good - email (preferably
>> to another box) and a printed report are good options.
>

> Then the approach you need is something different: configure your
> machines to download from a local mirror. And only put in that mirror
> the packages that you have already tested on your network.

I've not noticed that Yum can be configured to do that. I can make it
update but not download, but I don't think it can download and not update.

up2date can do that, and that's what I did with Taroon beta.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait