gcc for fedora

Root, Dalene Joy dalene.root at hp.com
Thu May 5 14:35:58 UTC 2005

Hi Matt,

Reference Message #10

Forgive me if I sound naive. I am not a programmer. The reason that we
wanted to use gcc 3.4.3-9 on Fedora is because some of our developers
are using Fedora Core 3 and some have purchased Redhat ES4. RHES4 has
gcc-3.4.3-9 while Fedora 3 has 3.4.3-22. There seems to be an
incompatibility between the two versions. Here is an excerpt of the
original complaint.
We have a serious problem with incompatible versions gcc.
It turns out that the versions of gcc that get installed with Fedora
Core 2, Fedora Core 3 and RedHat ES4 are different.
There are instances where compile errors that do not get produced with
one version will be produced on another.
In particular this becomes evident in forward namespace, forward class
and friend class declarations.

We decided we would rather have 3.4.3-9 because RHES4 is supported and
my lead feels that would be more stable solution.

Thanks,
Dalene Root