Playing DVDs using totem?

Toralf Lund toralf at procaptura.com
Sat May 7 09:12:52 UTC 2005

This has probably been discussed before, but is anyone actually using
totem to play DVDs these days? I've tried variants from various distros
and installed every gstreamer plugin I can think of, but it still won't
work. Originally, it wouldn't recognise DVDs at all, of course, now it
will either crash or give messages like

 don't know how to handle video/x-dvd-subpicture

And, no, I don't think I want to use xine or mplayer or whatever
instead. I think they all have pretty lousy UIs, and mplayer in
particular has also proven to be rather unreliable. I know one
application that generally just works most of the time, though: It's
Ogle (http://www.dtek.chalmers.se/~dvd/) Some of its features are
incomplete, however, and it seems like there hasn't been a lot of
development lately, and I've come across one DVD it won't play, so I
thought I might try something else...