Anbody having problems with id3 tags/mp3 metadata?

Steven P. Ulrick ulrick2 at faith4miracle.org
Sat May 7 17:11:56 UTC 2005

Hello, Everyone
I am at a loss on this one, since everything I am about to
describe used to "Just Work"  As a result, I don't know where to start
to diagnose this.  I touch on this later, but I have been aware of FC's
lack of mp3 support ever since it was taken out of Redhat.  I have also
known how to enable mp3 support in RH and then FC.  It's just that now
all that isn't working for me :(

Just to make sure that I hadn't done anything horribly wrong, I did a
fresh install of Fedora Core 3. I did not apply any updates whatsoever,
completely stock system.  There was no id3 tag info in Konqueror's
"Info List" view, or "right click on mp3 | Properties | Metadata"  This
behavior also extends to KRename, but for some odd reason, id3 tags
display perfectly in Juk.

Also, id3v2 -l *.mp3 shows that the tags are still there. This was not
horribly unexpected, since the fact that Fedora Core is not shipped
"mp3 Ready" is well known.  I then installed taglib and taglib- devel
from Fedora Extras. Still no id3 tags/mp3 metadata in any of the above
mentioned locations. I have KDE from what I assume we are supposed to
call SVN HEAD now. Whenever I reinstall FC, or make a new user account
for some reason, I copy my desired .bashrc and .bash_profile to /home/
Steve, and I USED to be good to go. In closing, this problem also
occurs with KDE from SVN HEAD, the version that ships with FC3, and the
version from the kde- redhat project. Before my reinstall this morning,
the tags also displayed properly in Nautilus. I do apologize for not
having more information for you, but like I said, this has always just
worked for me.  Ooop, almost forgot - the row in Konqueror which would
have the columns labeled appropriately for displaying id3 metadata in
Info List view, reads thusly: Filename Length   Resolution   Video
Codec Audio Codec

As you can see, these are not names of id3 tags.

Anyway thank you for your help and your patience,
Steven P. Ulrick