Sound controls

Trevor "TeC" Christian trevor at bouyon.dalive.com
Sun May 8 01:32:50 UTC 2005

cas wrote:

>Hi. I am new to fedora core 3. (previously used mandrake). Everything
>installs and appears to run ok except for the sound. I have an internal
>via soundcard.
>
>Using gnome xmms comes up with an exception saying that audio cannot be
>initialized. Games such as maelstrom and tuxracer have good sound. Xmms
>will work if you run it as root but then the games get no sound at all.
>
>Using KDE xmms works fine but sound from the games is laggy and
>crackling. This happens whether or not other programs are active.
>
>The soundcard detects and plays the test sound ok. If anyone can provide
>advice as to what is causing the problem it would be appreciated.

I have/had a similar problem with my via card.  This may not be the
correct or perfect fix, but it works for me currently.

I do two things on startup

1.  chmod 666 /dev/dsp
2.  chmod 666 /dev/snd/*

Now that i look it at...one command woulda done the trick; but i added
these two lines to my /etc/rc.local and i am able to play music and open
my mixer now.

--
*Trevor "TeC" Christian*
Cell #: (767) 225 4472