Suggestions for laptop purchase for Fedora Core 3?

Richard Crawford rscrawford at mossroot.com
Sun May 8 06:51:34 UTC 2005

On Saturday 07 May 2005 23:40, David A. Wheeler wrote:
> An HP Pavilion with 17" screen (much bigger) is $1850...
> and I like the big screen.  If I'm going to spend more $$,
> I'd rather spend it on actual hardware improvements.
> Some $$ on service is fine, but now we're talking 33%-50% of
> the cost of the product!

I've installed FC3 on both a Sony Vaio PCG-GRV670 and an HP Pavilion zd8000.
The Sony install was straightforward and painless and seemed to have no
problems (though it was stolen before I got a chance to really play with it).
The HP installation has been great as well; it has a 17" widescreen screen
with a resolution of 1900x1200.  Again, installation was pretty
straightforward, though I had some issues with Partition Magic getting the
partitioning done (I had to run chkdsk -f from the DOS command line).  I had
to fight with xorg.conf for quite awhile to get the screen resolution proper
and every now and then something gets pushed up onto the Yum repositories
that forces me to fight with the resolution issue again, but I have been, on
the whole, quite happy with the install.

--
Richard S. Crawford
http://www.mossroot.com