How can I get into the fedora system?

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Mon May 9 02:27:24 UTC 2005

Darren Lee writes:

> Hello all,
>
> Jan 2004 I installed windows professional in my C harddrive. Jan 2005
> I installed fedora in D harddrive. there were a so called "GRUB"  to
> operate these two operating system. recently I installed windows 2003
> server in C drive. I guess I have destroied the "GRUB". When i booted
> with the D drive(fedora). the system tells "Error loading operating".
> I had some important data in the D drive (fedora). So how can I get
> into the fedora system and copy these data out.

When you installed Windows 2003, the Windows installer -- as you've surmised
-- blew away the bootloader.

You can't just disconnect your primary boot hard drive, then expect to
boot off your second hard drive with Fedora on it.

Put both of the hard drives back in.  Take the Fedora installation CD or
DVD, and boot it up.  At the bootprompt, type "linux rescue".  The installer
should be able to find your existing Fedora partition, and throw you into a
shell.  As the preceding menu told you, "chroot /mnt/sysimage" will place
you in the root directory of your Fedora system.  At this point, you should
be able to run "/sbin/grub-install" and get GRUB reinstalled, or, if you
wish, copy your data to a floppy.

When you're done, you have to remember to unmount everything properly by
exiting from your rescue shell, which initiates an orderly unmount and
reboot.

/me, who spend six hours yesterday trying to get grub to boot with root+boot
on softraid partitions.