Suggestions for laptop purchase for Fedora Core 3?

disguised.jedi at gmail.com disguised.jedi at gmail.com
Mon May 9 14:28:30 UTC 2005

I'm using a Toshiba A35-S209.  Toshibas work great, if you compile
with the toshiba laptop extras.  I came from using gentoo as a
beginner (big mistake :)

Fedora works like a dream to me.  The only stumbling block was
madwifi.  As long as you get sharutils first and not use the RPMs,
just the source, it's great.

simply "make" in the madwifi extract directory, and then "make
install".  "/sbin/modprobe ath_pci" and reboot, and your set.

That's the only problem I've had so far.  Toshiba has good support
too, even if they do have rather strong accents.....

since they aren't as big of a name in computers as HP, Dell or Compaq,
they aren't as expensive.  Toshiba is only laptops (as far as personal
computers go) and laptops weren't the general consumer thing for a
while, so toshiba stayed pretty low key.  Overall, they are powerful
machines for a pretty good price.  (It's a really high price actually,
but that's just because they are very nice computers)

Anyway...that's just my biased opinion.  Dell will probably work well.
 I always recommend Toshiba, then Dell.  I work with several people
who use Linux on Dell and they haven't had any problems.  I'd
recommend that if you are looking at a bigger name PC.

Anyway...HTH!

disguised.jedi at gmail.com

PHP rocks!
"Knowledge is Power.  Power Corrupts.  Go to school, become evil"

However, I must say that the ENTIRE contents of this message are
subject to other's criticism, corrections, and speculations.

This message is Certified Virus Free