GRUB Install

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Tue May 10 02:24:09 UTC 2005

azeem ahmad wrote:

>> >         dd if=/dev/hdb of=myboot bs=512 count=1
>> >

>> GRUB fits on a floppy, if you remember them. You may not need to use a
>> hard disk for it at all.
>
> infact what i want to do is to install GRUB on a harddisk then point
> bootloader to the initrd and vmlinuz of isolinux so that it can boot the
> installer of linux. infact i want to make such a harddisk that contain
> linux iso images and boot linux installer so that i can be able to just
> put this harddisk into any computer, boot from this harddisk and start
> linux installation for that computer's disk
> Regards
> Azeem

How would this be better than installing from CD or DVD?

You can insert DVD & reboot faster than you can power off, insert drive,
  power-on & boot.

You can remove DVD faster than you can power off, remove drive, power-on
and boot.

If CD is inconvenient (because you need to change disks), consider
network installs. You can boot off the LAN. CD (and probably USB
devices) and install off a network server easily, and you get to remove
boot devices (if you needed them) sooner.

A laptop running Linux or OS X will make a fine install server. You need
a) DHCP server
b) tftp server
c) NFS or web server, I favour the latter as it gives me logs of which
client installed what packages.

--

Cheers
John