Initial setup

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Tue May 17 17:14:25 UTC 2005

Jason Hoffert wrote:
> I’m fairly new to Linux and I’m learning with FC3. I’ll research as much
> as possible before asking questions.
>

> When I first setup FC3, I needed to edit the ld.so.conf file to include
> /usr/lib and /usr/local/lib. I also added an EXPORT command to
> /etc/profile for PKG_CONFIG_PATH. Is this normal, and if so, is there a
> reason these aren’t setup during install?

/usr/lib is included by default by ldconfig and does not need to be
included in ld.so.conf (see "man ldconfig"). You do need to add
/usr/local/lib if you need it though (or add it in a .conf file in
/etc/ld.so.conf.d).

No PKG_CONFIG_PATH is normally needed because packages that support
pkgconfig drop a file into /usr/lib/pkgconfig, which pkgconfig picks up
automatically.

P.S. Please don't post HTML to this mailing list.

Paul.