Grub not booting Linux

Scott talbotscott at cox.net
Wed May 18 15:06:53 UTC 2005

Frank Chen wrote:

>I have a dual boot system. When I was using Windows
>earlier, I deleted a partition on the hard disk in
>preparation for installing another version of Linux.
>Big mistake. Now grub couldn't find the root
>partition, and it doesn't recognize the root partition
>because Fedora 3 uses ext3 file system. I can't use
>the kernel command to identify the kernel image. Any
>instructions on how to recover from this situation?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Frank
>

>Discover Yahoo!
>Stay in touch with email, IM, photo sharing and more. Check it out!
>http://discover.yahoo.com/stayintouch.html

Hey Frank

    You will need to re-install grub.  Boot from your install disk-1 or
the  rescue CD, enter "linux rescue" at the prompt.  Then follow the
directions on-screen to get to the prompt and enter the chroot command
as the screen shows. now do a "grub-install /dev/hda". exit the rescue
mode (removing the CD as you do) you should boot into your FC.  You may
need to take a look at your /etc/fstab to ensure that it was
re-configured and that all of your partitions are mountable.

    Scott