Which wireless card?

Sasa Stupar sasa at stupar.homelinux.net
Thu May 19 06:53:45 UTC 2005

--On 19. maj 2005 14:37 +0800 John Summerfied
<debian at herakles.homelinux.org> wrote:

> Sasa Stupar wrote:
>> Jay Lee wrote:

>>> I really wouldn't suggest this.  Wireless is great but at it's best
>>> it's not going to be as reliable and fast as good ol' CAT5.  At it's
>>> worst, you'll get dropped server connections, poor performance, data
>>> corruption, lots of bad things.  Put your wireless AP|router in the
>>> basement and the server right next to it, connection via CAT5.  As far
>>> as card recommendations, Atheros based chips work pretty well with the
>>> madwifi driver.
>>>
>> I can't move my router into basement since I don't have a line there so
>> that's why I wanted to use wireless. I really don't need speed of CAT5
>> (100Mbit) but this router can manage up to 108 Mbit link (if you are
>> close enough) and my distance will be 10 meters with two brick walls so
>> I think it shouldn't drop link to less than 54 Mbit.
>> Atheros based chips - well if I by card over internet I really don't
>> know if it has this kind of chips since this is not advertised in the
>> selling leaflet.
>

> There is some doubt in my mind whether the signal will get there. I've
> found two brick walls too much of a challenge:-)
>
> Then there's speed. My wireless is 5 Mbits/sec. I'm doing a test atm:
> manifestdestiny-binary-i386-1.iso 4%   25MB 114.8KB/s 1:28:39 ETA
>
> Speed ranges from less than 100 Mbytes/sec to a little over 300. My boss
> (with Apples and Airport Extreme)  found his ADSL connexion faster
>
> Speed between two wireless machines is worse, the traffic has to make two
> wireless hops to/form the one AP, and for reasons that went over my head
> this goes to swamp the AP. There is some discussion on this in WA Freenet
> (Google is your friend).
>
> Cards based on prism54 (see www.prism54.org) and Atheros (madwifi)
> chipsets work well, and I think Intel's Centrino too.
>
> Avoid TI and Broadcom.
>
> Dlink has been labelling its products recently, identifying which have
> Atheros and which have TI. Atheros does 11.{a,b,g}.
>
> Note that 11a uses 5 Ghz and may penetrate walls better (or worse) than
> {a,b} using 2.5 Ghz. However, if it comes to acquiring external antennae,
> you need one suited to your frequency: one designed for 11{b,g} won't
> perform so well at 5 Ghz and vv.
>

> --
>
> Cheers
> John
>
> -- spambait
> 1aaaaaaa at computerdatasafe.com.au  Z1aaaaaaa at computerdatasafe.com.au
> Tourist pics http://portgeographe.environmentaldisasters.cds.merseine.nu/

Thanx. Now I now what to search for. I have just been testing my connection
with laptop and I have 54Mbit connection on the place I want to put server
and I have run a small test server on that laptop and I didn't see any
difference in speed regarding to the hardwired one.

Regards,
Sasa