Repository recommendations for FC3 and FC4

Temlakos temlakos at gmail.com
Sun May 22 18:34:03 UTC 2005

All right, everyone:

What is the best repository mix for FC3 and the upcoming FC4, that will
best serve the goals of:

1.	Avoiding dependency breaks, package conflicts, and the like, and

2.	Making available the widest variety of applications by a means other
than going to every one of those programs' home sites, downloading the
rpm, and running

rpm -Uvh whatever.it.is.basearch.rpm

Instead, I'd like to be able to type

yum -y install whatever.it.is

or

apt-get install whatever.it.is

without getting a message of:

libwhatever in package whatever.it.is.releasevernew conflicts with
libwhatever in package whatever.it.is.releaseverold

Or:

Error: Broken dependency

I've been mixing dag, at-stable, and extras, and I suspect that I'm
creating more problems than I thought I'd solved. Right now I'm looking
at a red-dot throbbing screamer because clamav is available for update
on at-stable but won't install because of a package conflict with an
earlier package from the fc3 official repo.

And I haven't been able to use synaptic since atrpms published a new
version of apt.

I realize that I might not be able to get this sorted out until FC4
comes out and I just do yet another clean install. But this time I don't
want to create any more dependency or package conflict problems.

Temlakos