Cups printer on FC3

Livhu Tshisikule livhu.tshisikule at telkomsa.net
Mon May 23 14:18:49 UTC 2005

On Friday 20 May 2005 18:32, Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:
> Livhu Tshisikule wrote:
> > I tried to login as root but that does not work either. I configured two
> > USB printers on the same system P1 /dev/usb/lp0 and P2 /dev/usb/lp1
> > I the printers are switched off and then on again sometimes the system
> > will confuse the two printers and when a job is sent to P1 it will be
> > printed on P2. Sometimes the system will automatically add new printers
>
> Do not use /dev/usb/lp0 and /dev/usb/lp1 directly, since those can point
> to different printers on each boot.
>
> Instead, create file /etc/udev/rules.d/10-custom.rules.  Place something
> like this into it (should be one line, in case my mail reader wraps it
> when sending):
>
> BUS="usb", SYSFS{serial}="HP1234567890", SYMLINK="printers/laser"
>
> The above example is not going to work as-is, since none of your
> printers has the above serial number (unless you are lucky lottery
> ticket winner ;-) ).  Check the documentation in
> /usr/share/doc/udev-039/writing_udev_rules/index.html on how to find out
> serial number (or other uniqe properties) of your printers.
>
> What the above will do, udev will now create /dev/printers/laser as
> symbolic link that will point to correct device in /dev/usb directory
> (either lp0 or lp1).  The trick is to not specify "NAME" parameter
> (mentioned in the udev documentation).  That way, udev will create
> standard devices it always creates for printers (as defined in
> /etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev.rules), plus your custom symbolic link as
> defined in 10-custom.rules file.
>
> You can do the same for every device on your system that you want to
> have static name (scanners, tapes, autochangers, CD/DVD/R/RWs).

Thanks a lot, it is now working perfectly, but I am thinking of using a thin
client with the two printers connected I have a PII machine that I can use.

--
Regards
Livhu Tshisikule
Alt. E-mail livhu.tshisikule at webmail.co.za
WEB http://dembe.netfirms.com
Dembe Open Source Unix Solutions(DOSUS)
"Mubva hana nzie, nzie dzi khoroni"
"I rema nga lunwe mbevhana mulindi u do vhuya wa dala"