USB 2.0 - External hard disk

Srinivasan S ssrini at rediffmail.com
Sun May 1 03:39:04 UTC 2005

Hi

My system is a P4/2.8HT, ASUS P4P800VM mobo, 512MB running XP and FC3 dual boot.

I connected an external 40gb seagate hardisk (2 partitions ext3 and NTFS) via USB 2.0 enclosure under xp and was copying large files (around 700 MB each) to NTFS when I got a delayed write error.  On google found thousands of people having same trouble and no known workable solution yet.  It looked like a windoze issue.

I then booted FC3 and tried copying files to the ext3 partition.  Surprisingly simliar error occured and the copy stopped.  Harddisk was also unmounted.  Surprisingly common behaviour on both os.

QUestion : Is this a common problem also under FC3 (linux itself ?) and how to resolve.  The only way I found a consistently workable soln (stupid soln in fact) was to connect the casing via USB 1.1 hub to the pc.  Slows it down but consistently works.

Please help

Regards
Srini

PS:  Apologies for the long post