GUI login screen

Paul Almquist paul at almquist.name
Sun May 1 10:37:23 UTC 2005

On Sunday 01 May 2005 03:48, THUFIR HAWAT wrote:
> X Windows has a neat ctrl-alt-backspace to kill x windows, which I've
> used from time to time. currently I have a boot level of 3(?), just to
> a terminal login, after which I enter startx.
>
> it's vaguely coming back, but how's the boot level adjusted to boot
> into, IIRC, blue curve? and, will ctrl-alt-backspace still work?
>

> thanks,
>
> Thufir

set the run level to 5 by editing /etc/inittab
look for the following:
id:3:initdefault:
change it to:
id:5:initdefault:
(Note the comments at the beginning of this file describing the various run
levels.)  Run level 5 will start the GUI login manager (gdm, kdm, xdm, etc)
This change will take effect at the next boot.

To change the run level now do:  init <new runlevel>
for example:  init 5
telinit may be used here in place of init

alternatively you could use:  telinit q
which signals init to reread /etc/inittab and act on the new configuration.
see man pages:  init(8)   and inittab(5)

The GUI login manager is specified in:  /etc/sysconfig/desktop
Here is mine:
DESKTOP="KDE"
#DISPLAYMANAGER="GNOME"
DISPLAYMANAGER="KDE"

This file is sourced (the dot command) by /etc/X11/prefdm so it must follow
shell syntax.  In particular do not put spaces on either side of the = sign
if you change it.  The variable name is case sensitive.

At the end /etc/inittab you will find:
# Run xdm in runlevel 5
x:5:respawn:/etc/X11/prefdm -nodaemon

/etc/X11/prefdm is a shell script that starts the GUI login manager (display
manager) specified in:   /etc/sysconfig/desktop

And yes ctrl-alt-backspace still works.  It will kill the X server and it will
be automatically restarted.

I use KDE and its autologin feature on my home workstations--one for me, one
for my wife.  This function appears not to work when the display manager is
not kdm which is why you see:  DISPLAYMANAGER="KDE"  above.

--
Paul Almquist
paul at almquist.name
Eau Claire, WI  USA