HELP!! "init 3" freezes after "Starting anacron"

Gustavo Seabra gustavo.seabra at gmail.com
Sun May 1 17:31:51 UTC 2005

On 5/1/05, Wong Kwok-hon <kwokhon at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/2/05, Gustavo Seabra <gustavo.seabra at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm trying to get to init 3 in a laptop. I open a shell, su -, then
> > type "init 3". Then it only prints 4 lines:
> >
> > Starting irqbalance                                          [   OK   ]
> > Starting lm_sensors                                        [   OK   ]
> > Starting automount: No Mountpoints Defined     [   OK   ]
> > Starting anacron:                                            [   OK   ]
> > _
> >
> > and then it freezes after that. The cursor just keeps blinking in the
> > begginng of the next line, and never goes beyond this point. Any
> > ideas?
> >

> You should change the inittab file from level 5 to 3 and reboot the
> PC. It would to the init 3 and if u want to back to X in next reboot.
> You can change back the value fronm 3 to 5 in the file and not just
> type init 3 because it would freezes.
> Because I also got this when I perform the display card driver installation.
>
> Hope this help u...
>
> Wong Kwok Hon

Thanks. What I actually did is to use CTRL + ALT + F1 and then it gave
me a login prompt.

Gustavo Seabra                                           Graduate Student
Chemistry Dept.                                   Kansas State University
Registered Linux user number 381680
Say NO! to software patents: http://www.nosoftwarepatents.com