Gnome Pilot: Initalize palmOne Treo under FC3

Charles E. White chuck at chuckandmaggi.com
Sun May 1 18:12:47 UTC 2005

I'm a newbie to Linux using Fedora Core 3 and a palmOne Treo (Palm OS
5.2.1). I've Googled, searched the fedora-list archive, and executed
instruction found at http://fedoranews.org/tchung/gnome-pilot/. Two
error messages follow:

Error Message 1:
[root at localhost chuck]# pilot-xfer -l
   No $PILOTPORT specified and no -p <port> given.
   Defaulting to '/dev/pilot'
   ERROR: No such file or directory (2)

   Error accessing: '/dev/pilot'. Does '/dev/pilot' exist?
   Please use --help for more information

Error Message 2 (obtained from '/dev/pilot'):
This link can't be used, because its target "/dev/ttyUSB1" doesn't
exist.

Additional Background:
FC3 Machine: Sony Vaio PCG-GRX520 (Laptop with no old style serial
ports)
FC3 Updates: All installed using up2date
Random Observation on '/dev/': Browsing the directory, I don't see any
ttyUSBx.

If you've read this far, you're a real trooper! Thanks for your time and
I hope you can help.

Chuck