How can I use the advanced search more effectively, so that I will be less a pain?

Herschel hcohen2 at comcast.net
Sun May 1 18:52:58 UTC 2005

Mostafa Z. Afgani wrote:

> Herschel wrote:
>
> >"Error while attempting to retrieve the package [insert the name
> >selected] ...
> >The message was:
>
> >An HTTP error occurred:
> >Status Code: 404
> >Error Message: Not Found"
>

> Are you using YUM? If not, try as root:
>
> # yum update

No, so far just using the auto update, which seemed very similar to my
experience on Mandrake - except it has now seemed to fail consistently
for me for two days running.

I am going to search for the syntax to attempt a small update on a
single package to see if that works first.

> Even if this fails to complete all the way, after a couple of runs it
> should have managed to pull all the new packages into the local cache.
> Once that's done, it will complete the update as usual.

[Please expain, what you mean by completing the update "as usual", is
this a make install step?]

This may have happened on the kernel, because I saw a message that
somehow the kernel was up to date.  The kernel utilities fail saying it
cannot find selinux-policy-targeted-1.17...  Then I moved on to try
single packages.

> This is of course assuming that it's not always stopping due to a single
> package that it can't seem to locate ..

It seems to be an appropriate single package for the application I am
trying to update.  That does not seem to be a precise match to your
possible worry.

> Once the update is complete, you should issue (as root)
>
> # yum clean packages
>
> To free up the space taken up by the downloaded packes in cache.
>
> >I tried to update emacs alone, bash, Firefox as well as part of the
> >kernel and in every case I ran into this form of failure.  I have heard
> >too often about the ability to update Fedora  to not think something I
> >am doing is at fault.  What dumb thing am I doing that is causing me
> >this grief?
>

> HTH

Well, if that's all I have to do - it should help.  I will let you know,
thanks!!