Forcing Screen Resolution

Herschel hcohen2 at comcast.net
Sun May 1 19:55:26 UTC 2005

The Disguised Jedi wrote:

> How can I force the desktop to use 1024x768 screen resolution.  I
> can't select a monitor in the list for some reason, the OK button is
> disabled.  Therefore, I'm restricted to the 800x600 or 640x480
> resolution.  My laptop dual-boots XP Home, and it can use that
> resolution, but that is the maximum.

First did the installation recognize the monitor/video card?  On my
laptop where I just installed FC 3 it was unknown and defaulted to
800x600.  Do not quite remember my steps and that unit is doing an
extensive update, so forgive me if my instructions are not exact.

Begin by going to System Tools (or Settings) look for something like the
configure monitor.   Pick yours out of the list, begins with
Manufacturer, mine was something like Generic LCD for my IBM laptop.  If
I remember properly, the next option is choosing the resolution.

Regarding desktops, I have changed resolutions on a number of Linux
distributions (mostly Mandrake) and it was really no problem.  Do not
worry prematurely about the OK button.  Make your selections and see
what happens.