makewhatis - out of nowhere

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sun May 1 20:00:13 UTC 2005

Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Sun, May 01, 2005 at 03:45:02PM -0400, Jim Cornette wrote:
>
>>Prelink also hogs the CPU and causes a similar problem as you describe.
>>Rather than disable all of these services, adding preference entries for
>>controlling background processes to run at lower percntages would be a
>>better approach.
>

> They *do* run at lowered priority, but maybe also doing something to limit
> their CPU usage would also be good.

I'm for this since programs like cpufreq do what they are supposed to
do, they up the processor speed when the CPU load rises. Since this is a
background process, I could care less if the program took twice the time
to complete. I would not be aware of it running if it did not produce
higher temperatures or reduced responsiveness since it cannot hog the
processor.

Hopefully this can be worked out for laptop users as well as for
computers that are not left on 24/7.

Jim

--
Any time things appear to be going better, you have overlooked something.