How to close devices which have been left open?

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sun May 1 20:40:03 UTC 2005

Erik P. Olsen wrote:
> It often happens when I use my scanner that it hits a bug which leaves
> it in an open state and thus becomes unavailable until the system has
> been rebooted.
>
> Does a command exist which would take a device such as a scanner out of
> the open state?
>
> I am using sane-backends for avision version 1.0.15 and FC3 fully
> updated. The scanner is scsi attached as /dev/sg0.

I had this happen before on really early versions of xsane. I used to
have to restart xsane and it would deactivate the scanner. I would then
close down xsane.

I don't have to do this now, but it worked when I did this before. You
might want to file a bug report regarding this problem either upstream
or in fedora bugtracking.

Jim

--
If a 6600 used paper tape instead of core memory, it would use up tape
at about 30 miles/second.