Fedora, ALSA and MIDI OH MY! (Theme to lions, tigers, and bears, oh my!)

Shelagh oneida at tpg.com.au
Sun May 1 23:16:47 UTC 2005

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 15:54:35 -0700, Daniel B. Thurman <dant at cdkkt.com>
wrote:

> Thanks for responding!
>
> Yes, I have tried Timidity.  It does not work.  Timidity has core
> dumped (segmentation fault) a couple times.  I think the problem is
> at a lower level -- involving the devices - it appears to be something
> that is not activating the midi hardware interface or so I think.
>
> Kind regards,
> Dan

Have you got the /dev/sequencer or its equivalent in udev? Midi won't play
without
the proper device file. For more info on getting midi to work try the
CCRMA site which
specializes in audio/visual redhat/fedora distributions. They have some
info on the "modules.conf" settings for various soundcards. That said, I
have had midi working and sometimes it don't, and I haven't got a clue
what the difference is between the two.
Ps CCRMA have a compiled Timidity which may be of use to you.

Shelagh