How to boot second grub?

av1 at ansae.com av1 at ansae.com
Mon May 2 04:03:44 UTC 2005

Scott, that did the trick. Thank you very much.

After I got it working, I went back to the beginning and reinstalled the
second Fedora to make sure I would be able to do it again in the future.

In case anyone else wants to do this, here is a summary of how to install
two fc3's with chained bootloaders.

 - install the first fc3 on /dev/hda in the usual manner

 - install a second fc3 on /dev/hdb like this
   -- I made a single partition on hdb mounted as "/". (I bet the steps
would change a little if you made a separate partition for /boot, but I
didn't need to do this.)
   -- Choose to install grub. It will say it's going on /dev/hda, but don't
worry.
   -- Check advanced bootloader options.
   -- On the next screen, choose to put grub on the first sector of the root
partition (/dev/hdb1), not the mbr.
   -- Do the rest of the installation on hdb as usual.

 -- When you reboot, start the first Fedora on /dev/hda. Edit
/boot/grub/grub.conf. Add this stanza

   title Second Fedora
       rootnoverify (hd1,0)
       chainloader +1

(You could have done this before installing the second Fedora to save a
reboot.)

 -- Reboot, choose Second Fedora, and you should be in the second grub on
hdb.