allow SFTP FTP but not SSH. Can ??

Richard Crawford rscrawford at mossroot.com
Mon May 2 12:56:21 UTC 2005

On Monday 02 May 2005 02:01, M E Fieu wrote:
> Hi.. I just create a linux account e.g account1
> After creating this account, people can ftp , ssh and
> sftp in to the server using this account. But is there
> a way to restrict people from SSH using this account
> but still allowing ftp and sftp?? (without doing
> anything on the firewall?

Disallow a shell to the user by modifying /etc/passwd.  For example, if you
want user Bob to be able to SFTP files to the system but not have shell
access, modify his entry in /etc/passwd to look like this:

# grep bob /etc/passwd

bob:x:500:500:Bob Wilkins:/home/bob:/bin/false

The /bin/false at the end is what does it.

--
Richard S. Crawford
http://www.mossroot.com