FC3 and ATI Digital video

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Mon May 2 15:01:40 UTC 2005

Angela Kahealani wrote:
> On Tuesday 26 April 2005 11:28, Angela Kahealani wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 2004-11-14 at 15:39 -0500, Gene Czarcinski wrote:
>>
>>>Question:  Is anyone using digital (DVI) video, an ATI video card
>>>and the radeon driver?  Does it work?  IS anyone having problems?
>>
>>So, I can finally nearly repeat the original question...
>>Has anyone successfully got an ATI video card driving DVI LCD on FC3?
>

> What was I thinking?
> An Apple LCD on an ATI video card on an nForce2 chip set?
> Everyone has a profit center, and I have a black screen :-(
> Giving up (for now) on fglrx or radeon drivers,
> xorg or ATI's, I finally got into graphics mode
> by falling all the way back to vesa driver.
> And I'm finding there are many problems with
> ATI Radeon family cards with Xorg radeon driver on FC3,
> as I'm seeing reported in a number of forums...
> from which consensus I conclude that
> if you're lucky enough to have one of the rare configurations actually
> supported by ATI's proprietary drivers, it may run a little faster than
> the X.org drivers, the X.org drivers are otherwise way better, unless
> you're unlucky enough to have an R300 chipset like in my
> Radeon9700Pro, in which case... it's a vesa world on FC3 for now.
> There are already many bug reports filed with X.org about the
> radeon driver on FC3.
>

>>The latest configs and logs at
>>http://www.kahealani.net/xorg/?C=M;O=D

The FC4T2 version (or current development) fixed a patch that was
incorrectly applied which caused malfunctioning with several radeon
cards. The changes applied to the development version to correct this
driver worked for my videocard type.

Did you try te latest version of xorg-x11? I am using xorg-x11-6.8.2-29
and it works fine for a ATI Technologies Inc Radeon Mobility U1.

Either this helps or you can stick to vesa for awhile. Then when FC4
comes out later, it might work or you will be in the same situation.

Good LucK,

Jim

--
Theory is gray, but the golden tree of life is green.
		-- Goethe