HELP - trying to use YUM with Fedora3

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon May 2 16:23:14 UTC 2005

Reg Clemens wrote:
> From: clemens at dwf.com
>
> Im trying to use YUM with Fedora3, (I previously used apt-get), and I must be doing
> something stupid, but I cant see it.
>
> in /home/ftp/yum/fedora3/RPMS.os I have the RPMS from the 4 binary CDs
> in /home/ftp/yum/fedora3/RPMS.updates I have all the updates to date.
>
> I have run yum-arch on each of them, viz
>
> 	yum-arch /home/ftp/yum/fedora3/RPMS.os
> 	yum-arch /home/ftp/yum/fedora3/RPMS.updates
>
> my /etc/yum.conf file reads
>
> [root at orion etc]# more /etc/yum.conf
> [main]
> cachedir=/var/cache/yum
> # debuglevel=2
> debuglevel=10
> logfile=/var/log/yum.log
> pkgpolicy=newest
> # distroverpkg=redhat-release
> tolerant=1
> exactarch=1
> retries=20
> obsoletes=1
> # gpgcheck=1
> gpgcheck=0
>
> # PUT YOUR REPOS HERE OR IN separate files named file.repo
> # in /etc/yum.repos.d
>
> [base]
> name=Fedora3 Core base
> baseurl=ftp://orion/yum/fedora3/RPMS.os
> gpgcheck=0
>
> [updates]
> name=Fedora3 Core updates
> baseurl=ftp://orion/yum/fedora3/RPMS.updates
> gpgcheck=0
>
> ---
>
> When I TRY to run 'yum update' to bring this initial install up
> to date, I get the message:
>
> [root at orion ~]# yum update
> Repository base already added, not adding again
> Yum Version: 2.1.11
> COMMAND: yum update
> Installroot: /
>
> You have enabled checking of packages via GPG keys. This is a good thing.
> However, you do not have any GPG public keys installed. You need to download
> the keys for packages you wish to install and install them.
> You can do that by running the command:
>     rpm --import public.gpg.key
> For more information contact your distribution or package provider.
>
> ---
>
> Now I have several problems:
> (1) why is it saying 'You have enabled checking of packages via GPG keys'
> when I turned that off in [main] and in each section???

Because the ftp repos you specified turn it back on again.  I think
"gpgcheck=0" is ignored with ftp or http repos, but I won't swear to it.

> (2) The command 'rpm --import public.gpg.key' does NOT work, I get:
>
> root at orion ~]# rpm --import public.gpg.key
> error: public.gpg.key: import read failed.

You need to:

	# cd /usr/share rhn
	# rpm --import *-GPG-KEY*
	# cd /usr/share/doc/redora-release-3
	# rpm --import *-GPG-KEY*
	# cd /usr/share/rpm-4.3.2
	# rpm --import *-GPG-KEY*

to import all of the keys.

> (3) What is this message
>     'Repository base already added, not adding again'

Just an advisory message that it's already loaded the repository and
doesn't need to do it again.  It's safe to ignore.
-                    Do you know where _your_ towel is?              -